The following information was presented at a training event for AFGE Local 17. A link to the associated PowerPoint document is at the bottom of this training if you would like to download it. This training covers some of the many benefits of becoming an AFGE Local 17 member.
- Membership Pays:Join and Save Thousands of Dollars a year…
- Travel and Entertainment
- Education – Eastern Gateway Community College *Program Under Review
- Accessing Union Benefits
- Setting up an account on AFGE.org
Join and Save Thousands of Dollars a year…
- Travel and Entertainment
- AND MORE….
Travel and Entertainment
- Car Rentals– 5-25% discount; Avis, Budget, Dollar, Payless, Thrifty
- Hotels– Unpublished Hotel room rates up to 70% lower that internet travel sites like Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, etc.
- Tickets at Work
- Movie Tickets at 15 different theater chains including Regal and AMC
- Walt Disney World® Resort
- Las Vegas and New York City shows and performances
- Resorts in Florida, Chicago, Tampa, Orlando, California
- Ski resorts Preferred Access-Tickets to the most sought-after events
- Auto Buying Program
- The AFGE Auto Buying Service helps members through the vehicle buying process and can provide them with substantial savings
- Through the program, union members will receive pre-negotiated, best-market pricing on new or used vehicles (cars, trucks, commercial, agricultural, RV’s, boats, motorcycles, etc.) without having to negotiate with the dealer.
- Farmers Auto and Home– Average savings 10-30%
- Firestone Tire and Auto Care Discounts- Tires and service discount vouchers; Saved $200 on four new tires
- Wells Fargo and Rocket Mortgage Program
- Reduced Rates
- $2,000 credit at closing
- Home Buying Program-Union Home Services
- Received 20% of Real Estate commissions back on selling and buying a home
- Sell home for $250,000 receive $1,500
- Buy home for $400,00 receive $2,400
- Total sample savings of $5,900 (Buying/Selling/Mortgage)
- AT&T Discount
- Save 15% on monthly wireless plans
- Save 20% on accessories
- ID Theft– ID Sanctuary-monitoring and recover
- Life Insurance– Term and Permanent Life Insurance
- Accident Insurance– Individual and Family- Cover out-of-pocket co-pays deductibles and uncovered expenses
- Home and Auto Insurance– Save 15-30% (Pandemic related reductions in use)
- Pet Insurance – MetLife pet insurance at discounted rate
- Union Plus Scholarship
- Amounts range from $500 to $4,000. These one-time cash awards are for study beginning in the Fall of 2019. Students may re-apply each year.
- Grantham University
- $250 per credit hour
- SAVI- Student Loan Forgiveness
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Free College– “Program under review”
- Free Associates degree
- Bachelors Completion Program Nursing Program
Education – Eastern Gateway Community College *Program Under Review
- Fully accredited non-profit public institution that is part of the University System of Ohio.
- Students can enroll in the distance learning program from anywhere in the U.S. Credits can be transferred to a four-year college.
- Degree Programs:
- Associate of Arts
- Business Management (concentrations in Labor Studies, Health Care Management, Human Resources, Marketing or Finance
- Criminal Justice
- Early Childhood Education
- Individualized Study
- Certificate Programs
- Business management – with an optional concentration in Accounting
- Patient Navigator
We would greatly appreciate your support by becoming a dues-paying member of AFGE Local 17. You can join by following these simple steps.
- Click this link join.afge.org
- Under Select agency, scroll to the bottom to find “Veterans Administration.”
- Under find your local, select, “L0017 – VA Central Office, D.C.”
- For dues option, select “standard.” ($18.25 per pay period)
- Add Your information
- Email me here at email@example.com so we can add you to our membership email list.
Accessing Union Benefits
- Benefits Hotline: 1-888-844-2343
Setting up an account on AFGE.org
- Go to AFGE.org on a personal computer or cellphone.
- Mouse over or tap ‘Login’ in the top right corner.
- If you haven’t set up an account and are a member in the national database, click ‘Register’.
- If you have an just forgot your password, click ‘Forgot Password’, provide the email you used to set up your account to receive an email that will reset your password.
- To set up your account, we will need you to either provide your Social Security Number, or your membership number and the last 4 digits of your SSN.
- Your membership number is on your union membership card and can be accessed through AFGE’s national database.
- Once verified as a member, it will prompt you to set up a password and update the personal information we have on file for you.
- After that, you can log into AFGE.org and access your member benefits that way.
Accessing this on a phone is a bit more involved. Tap where the arrows below are.
Link to PowerPoint
Here is a link to the PowerPoint slide deck for this training. Click here to download it.